Welcome to Jewelry By Dee-Wick.

I hope you find something that you find of interest. I wanted my blog to reflect more than just jewelry, but some issues and ideas for other women.


This is my first blog and I am learning as I go.
I will be posting some of my jewelry items that can be found on my Etsy store @ lightworks.etsy.com

I am hoping to connect with some great people and make some new friends, so please feel free to leave your comments.

SHOP ETSY!!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Living with a Jewelry Makers Duality.

I have found myself dealing with a major duality for the past six months or so.

For many years now, I have been very aware and dismayed about the whiplash of mining for gems across the glob. We are raping our planet, killing others, all for those beautiful pieces of our mother earth. So there is my duality.

As a jewelry designer who loves, uses and buys gem stones, am I contributing to this insanity? As much as I hate to admit it I think the answer is yes. And thus how do I justify making and selling jewelry using natural gem stones? Is there really any way to justify this? Should I stop buying and selling gem stones and start making jewelry with glass beads? Now that this has been put in front of me to take a look at, it is now for me to come to terms with.

I can't help but wonder if this has crossed the minds of any other jewelry designers? And if so, how do they deal with it.

I personally do believe that this is a major choice point for me. I have no answers at this point in time but I know that I will have to come to a place where I can live with it or just not deal in the natural gems anymore.

If any other jewelry designers out there happen upon this post, I would love to read your thought and feeling on this matter.

2 comments:

Ben Mcfuzzylugs said...

Hmm yes thats an interesting problem

I am having the same problem with meat, as an animal lover should I be letting animals be killed on my behalf just for me to eat and have nice shoes??

http://lightworks.etsy.com said...

So Ben, I guess you can understand!
Thank you for your comment and I wish you luck sorting it out for yourself.